Shanghai Young Bakers (SYB) is a charity program providing free training in French bakery to marginalised Chinese youth aged 17 to 23, enabling them to find qualified jobs and lead independent lives after graduation.
SYB empowers disadvantaged young adults who had to drop out of school because of their family situation (parents’ death, sickness, disability or imprisonment) and are excluded from stable employment.
Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors and donors, SYB students follow a one-year training where they learn valuable skills such as French bakery and pastry, Chinese bakery, life skills and English, combined with practical internships at 5-star hotels. Due to the high demand of qualified bakers on the Chinese market, 30 students each year start a new life as bakers or pastry chefs and are able to support themselves and their families.
The charity program was founded in 2008. In 2011, we created a social enterprise that offers a wide range of services to support the program, such as baking classes and workshops, bakery and pastry catering services, sales at weekend markets, and which supporting individuals and companies to contribute to the success and sustainability of the program.
SYB is managed by a small but dynamic French-Chinese team, and operates under the governance of Chi Heng Foundation.
Shanghai Young Bakers relies on a network of sponsors and partners to operate its program. These include financial sponsors, hotel internship partners, in-kind donors, pro-bono service providers, corporate clients, of different nationalities and cultures, as well as NGOs, schools and institutions who help ensure the quality of the program.
The Partnerships Manager intern will be in charge of nurturing and managing the strategic relationships with our current partners, and helping to promote their commitment to social responsibility through related communication work and events.
S/he will work under the guidance of the SYB program director and in close relationship with the Communication Coordinator, Resource Development Manager and the social enterprise team.
Time commitment: at least 20 hours/week, from April or May to end October or November. We can accommodate university students’ schedule if needed.
Follow up on ongoing partnerships and provide branding support
- Act as the main contact point for current financial and in-kind partners, coordinate requests and provide regular feedback on actions undertaken by SYB
- Design appropriate CSR strategy for the partner (branding & communication work, organizing staff volunteer activities, providing commercial services…) and implement
- Write and/or edit promotional material for partners
- Lead sponsorship renewal and negotiations; prepare related documents and proposals
Monitor and develop hotel partnerships
- Manage relationship with current hotel partners (who provide practical internships to the SYB students); negotiate and follow-up on partnership renewal
- Lead the search for new hotel partners: visit the hotels and review their bakery/pastry departments together with the SYB trainers, present the cooperation terms
- Help design appropriate CSR strategy for engaged hotel partners (branding & communication work, writing/producing material showcasing the collaboration, contacting journalists, organizing staff volunteer activities …) and implement
- Research possible fundraising opportunities in the hotel industry (sponsorships from hotel foundations, etc) and prepare related application material, engage with hotel CSR managers to follow through
Manage relations with potential employers
- Answer hotels, bakeries, restaurants, F&B company’s requests to hire SYB graduates
- Promote SYB recruitment services and “SYB Employment Partner” package; organize related services and student activities/ bakery visits
- Organize SYB’s annual “Career Fair” in July, which links SYB’s soon-to-graduate students with potential employers
Support organization of major SYB events and outside networking opportunities
- Participate in brainstorming to increase visibility and participation rate at SYB’s annual Graduation Ceremony in July; propose solutions to showcase hotel partners
- Invite partners to SYB’s Graduation Ceremony and make sure their support is duly promoted
- Possibility to represent SYB and introduce cooperation opportunities at outside meetings and events
- Other professional initiatives to raise awareness of the SYB actions and promote its image and/or that of its partners both in China and abroad will be warmly welcome
- Keen to gain experience in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Corporate Communication / PR across a wide range of companies
- Dedication to work in a growing international non-profit organization, interest in learning more about NGO operations and social entrepreneurship in a Chinese environment
- Fluent in English and French. Knowledge of Chinese will be a strong advantage.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills in a multicultural environment
- Able to listen and present in a professional setting
- Good organizational skills, responsive
- Enjoy working both within a team and independently