This NGO is a Lao, non-profit, non-governmental association dedicated to the sustainable development of the population of Vang Vieng district, Laos. Its approach is holistic and focuses on 4 pivotal, interdependent domains:
Education is the key to development and should be accessible to everybody, without any discrimination. This NGO primarily teaches English and thus gives locals the possibility to better interact with tourists, to better communicate and cooperate with nationals from the other countries of the ASEAN and to access unlimited information available on the internet. All classes are free of charge for their 500 students and their action is supported by the Ministry of Education.
Another priority of the NGO is to generate employment and new sources of revenue for locals. As an employer, the NGO focuses on fair work conditions and access to medical care for employees and their families. The NGO also offers the opportunities to develop existing skills or acquire new ones. In addition, through specific projects, the NGO helps locals generate for themselves new sources of revenue outside of the organization.
The development of the local population can be sustainable only when the natural resources are used carefully and by striving for the lowest possible level of pollution and of non-recyclable wastes. Both sites of the NGO are constantly working towards improving their sustainability and are developing programs to raise awareness for environmental issues.
Through dedicated workshops the NGO addresses various health issues relevant to the local population. They are currently focussed on general hygiene, dental care, alcohol & drug misuse. In the future, their action will include STDs and HIV in cooperation with the Ministry of Health.
Volunteers will help with the following tasks, according to their skills, talents or interests:
- Teaching English to Lao kids and young adults.
- Organic gardening and farming.
- Construction of new facilities on the project sites.
- Maintenance and decoration work on the sites.
- Promotion of the association and of its sites (outdoor and online)
There are no specific requirements regarding the volunteers except for the ability to communicate in English.
- You'll be trained to teach and will be given the necessary teaching material (no teaching irerience is required).
- Volunteers should use natural soap on the sites (provided)
- Long-term volunteers have a fee reduction. Coordinators receive a small financial compensation.